Friday, January 8, 2016

When Ethics Collide With Religion



This actually took me a lot of time and courage to post. I grew up to respect each other's opinion and keep my nose out of everybody else's business as well as to be neutral on topics that can ignite an unhealthy debate like politics and religion. And so I held back to this topic as much as I wanted to speak about what I believe in when it comes to religion and morality.

I grew up practicing the virtues of being a Catholic, went to an all girls' Catholic school run by the RVM sisters. And even after going to a Catholic school I still continued with living an acceptable if not perfect life of a Christian.
When I came to the point in my life when I'm already aware of the issues about LGBT's and other issues that seem to test the faith of a Christian, I became confused and start questioning myself if I deserve to be called a Christian based on what I believe in.

I'm not an expert when it comes to reading the Bible, though I can consciously remember some important verses that I learned from school. Like how God created the universe and man. And so I was also aware that He created only man and a woman and nothing in between, that's why I understand that there are people despised those who prefers to settle and be married with someone that has the same gender (man to man or otherwise). Thinking about the lesson from the Bible, it made sense to me when it was written that God said to reproduce and spread the Word of God when He made the first couple which is Adam and Eve. And I wonder if God was aware that people are vulnerable to being evolved and changes may occur in the future. Which puts the people on the LGBT community in an awkward position where some people cannot accept who they are and depriving them of their rights of a normal person can have. Which sometimes made me ask myself if its still practical to apply all the Bible teachings in the present situation of the world when a lot has already been changed and a million miles far from how people live their life even before the dinosaurs became extinct.
I don't have anything against what's on the Bible and I can't question the Word of God for it has played a significant role in my life on how to be a good person.
So as I recall some verses, we are taught that God's love is unconditional and that we are already forgiven before we even ask for His forgiveness and that God loves even the most evil person. And from how I understand that, we are encouraged to treat everybody else fairly and we don't have the right to hurt someone especially if there's nothing that we can do to help a needy person. That's why I'm confused as to why Church won't allow the same sex couple marriage. Why are they saying offensive words to the members of the third sex (the Bible didn't say anything about offending people or hurting them emotionally if you can't agree with what they are fighting for). We are here to spread the Word of God and not to be like Him and judge people.

There are actually other reasons why I'm thinking of changing religion but I don't want to dwell much on them, I just emphasized the LGBT issue because I know that majority of the population are already aware and understands the situation. I love how I was raised to be a Catholic, I love the culture and practices of a Christian. I wanna die as a Catholic as much as possible but my instinct of being ethical is bugging me. It is the Bible who taught me to love my neighbors and not to even dare think of bad thoughts about them because that will already be considered as a sin, and that is not what I can see with some Catholic leaders right now.

My rule in life is to live life without hurting other people and to help in the most possible way that I can those who are in need. And not to be judgmental and deprive my brothers and sisters of the rights that we have. Live a humble life and do my best to make an impact on the lives of others. I can't help but to feel sorry for those who are being mistreated whether emotional or psychological.

I decided to speak up after I witnessed a person being bullied about his stand as a Christian and how he believes in same sex marriage. And it actually made me leave a reaction post "Humanity and Equality regardless of race, color, religion, sex or nationality"
And now made me decide that I will keep my religion for what its worth and I will love my brothers and sisters like how I wanted to be loved back, because amidst every debate on how to be a good Christian, I still believe that it all boils down to one rule and that is to respect and love unconditionally like how we always say that God is Love.
Afterall, Humanity should always come first before Religion and Sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments and inputs are welcome.